Book from USA/Canada : 1 800 888 4747
You call from another country ? Click here
Stretching along the Baie des Anges, the Promenade des Anglais is an avenue that is emblematic of Nice and one of the most visited places in the city. Built in the 19th century by the British pastor Lewis Way, who paid to have it built with his own money, the Promenade des Anglais was originally little more than a dirt pathway along the coast. The English bourgeois clientele of that period used to go out and stroll along the path on the shore, so it became known as the "Englishmen's Path".
In the 1930's, casinos and very fine luxury hotels were built there, which can still be seen today. Inaugurated in 1929, the Palais de la Méditerranée was a mecca for fine living and festivities between the two World Wars. Financial problems caused it to be closed in 1978. It was partially demolished in 1990, but its superb Art Déco façade, classified as an historic monument, was nevertheless saved. The Palais re-opened its doors in 2004, offering guests 188 luxury rooms, a restaurant and a casino.
Bordered by tall palm trees and flower gardens, the Promenade is today a wide road that runs along the Mediterranean from Carras to the Quai des États-Unis. Many improvements have been made in the interest of making it more beautiful and more attractive for pedestrians and cyclists. Every year, it is home to the Carnival of Nice.