Book from USA/Canada : 1 800 888 4747
Calling from another country ? Click here
The Orangerie Museum is located in the Tuileries Gardens, on the site of a former orange grove, rebuilt in 1852 by the architect, Firmin Bourgeois.
Set across from the Seine and very close to the Place de la Concorde, two steps from the luxurious Hôtel de Crillon, this museum houses a remarkable collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist paintings. One can go there to admire works by Claude Monet, Auguste Renoir, Edgar Manet, Paul Cézanne and Henri Matisse.
In 1920, Claude Monet set up his Nymphéas series there, which he had been working on since 1914, and which he bequeathed to France on his death in 1926. The Orangerie Museum shows a strong influence by that artist, who made substantial contributions to the interior decoration work carried out by the architect, Camille Lefèvre.
The museum has been open to the public since 1927 and was highly popular until 1970, when it came to be neglected somewhat due to interest in new, major attractions such as the Grand Palais and the Pompidou Center. Thanks to the special nature and wealth of its collections, the Orangerie was completely renovated between 2000 and 2006. Today, the Orangerie Museum is still a special venue for all art lovers and maintains a predominant place in the cultural landscape of Paris.
Open everyday from 12:30 pm to 7:30 pm for individual visitors. Group visits must be made with a reservation. Closed on Tuesdays, 1st May and 25th December